Monday, 26 January 2015

Number 34: visit Springvale Cemetery


Is it weird to hang out in a cemetery with a three year old? No, I didn't think so either.

My grandmother has 8 great grandchildren that she never met. One of them, my daughter, has her name and stubbornness and also her sweetness.

It's been almost 4 years since my nana died and I'd never been to see where her ashes are. I guess because I found out I was pregnant the day before her funeral and then moved overseas 3 months later, I just let the moment pass.

It was recently what would have been her 99th birthday. So we chose some flowers, drove to Springvale and then drove around the cemetery for 20 minutes. ("It's in the rose garden"  my father had said "You'll find it easily" he said.) In the end, we threw half the flowers under a man made waterfall, sat on a hill, looked at some trees and then went home.

"How was it?" Welshy asked as I put the remaining flowers in a vase on the dining room table.
"Beautiful,  but nana wasn't there."

And she wasn't.  Not really. But it's okay because she's in my daughter and father and she's in me. I thought I'd have a whispered convo with her and that I'd hear "Your hair looks beeeeeautifulllll...." on the breeze but it's just a hill with some flowers and a pretend waterfall.

She was a beautiful lady, even when she wouldn't let me cheat at Monopoly.  Happy birthday Nana.





1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of doing this for her birthday too! I am going to add this to my list! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete