Sunday, 1 February 2015

Art

There are quite a few vague things on my list like "See more art/do more art/be around art. Art." for example.
When I break this one down I think what I am trying to say is that I want to be near beautiful things. Man made and otherwise. What is art anyway? Why is a copper pipe sticking out of a hill 'art' but then a copper pipe sticking out of the road 'a liability?' I think it comes down to a)Intention and B) Interpretation. But you don't necessarily need A. Although it helps. Anyway.
Having a three year old who joins me on my every adventure changes the way I do stuff. I took her to the Monet exhibition and she tore off her shoes and socks and threw them at a wall. She breaks stuff. She wants to interact with the world. She is not an observer. She's quite artistically inclined and I fear she'll grow into a torture artist in time, especially since she had to go under general anaesthetic to remove some playdough from her ear. But painting and drawing at home is rather boring for the adults in the house and I usually use that time to go on the treadmill (however, I was not on the treadmill that time that she shoved playdough in her ear. Let's make that clear. I was in fact reading a book in another room while her father watched her. Good watching, Honey.)
So, to continue my explore my own artist urges and to avoid any more encounters with emergency room staff we've been doing our art adventures together.
Last weekend, we went to the McClelland sculpture park where Junior could run around and I could ponder massive sculptures set in bushland. We also went to the Romance Was Born Exhibition at the NGV which although is aimed at children, I really liked (you got to make necklaces and beards.) Mostly because my sister took me and I drank coffee and kissed her toddler AND got a temporary tattoo.
I think we're at a good stage for doing this sort of stuff though. And I do get extra inspired when I am around arty things.

No comments:

Post a Comment