Where was I? Oh, yes! Season three of Girls. Look, I didn't love love it but I did enjoy it. I think I am a bit disenchanted with the characters. The riverside cottage scenes were a bit too over the top, the women so type-casted that they almost seemed like caricatures of themselves and Shosh's bloody over use of the term 'obvi' has become grating. I didn't feel surprised or shocked by any of their life choices but I must say I was mildly grossed out in certain parts and I really felt like adopting Jessa from episodes 1-4. Maybe I am no longer the target audience. I did get on board about 10 years too late. I guess maybe it's just become a bit more.........commercialised? It's lost some of the grit. Maybe as Lena has stepped further and further away from the writing and direction it's gotten more polished. I preferred the grit. The grit was more subtle-like the slow burn of tension between Jessa and her employers. I think series one introduced us to the women and I really enjoyed getting to know them. You know when you first make friends with someone and they are so fascinating and hilarious and you connect on different levels and it's great? And then once you know them you talk about what your kid did at kinder that day and the fact that your shampoo is giving you pimples and even though it's still great, it's not really inspired? Yeah well that's season three for me.
The vodka made it better though.

So funny! You have to put Broad City on your list. Soooo good. Love the photo.
ReplyDelete