Friday, 13 March 2015

Number 13: Meet Elizabeth Gilbert.

I read Eat, Pray, Love before it was popular. For realz.
I sat in a garden near my house and read it and I was all like "OMG, I need to go do some shit." So I booked a flight to Europe and ate pasta and pizza and gained a few Kaygees, just like Liz. I didn't do the other two parts because they seemed, like, hard and stuff.
And like the other eleventy billion chicks that dug that book, it GOT to me. Why I wonder? What is it about a woman taking control of her life and stepping off a trajectory to seek happiness that stirs us? I am not sure, but stirred I was. Go back to bed Liz.
My own path changed a few days after I flew back into Melbourne and by the time 12 months had passed, I had stepped off my own trajectory and into No Man's Land. Then just like Liz, I got divorced, travelled, had a love/visa wedding and got a book deal! Oh, except for the last bit. That didn't actually happen.
Anyhow.
I decided that 2015 was going to be the year that I met Liz (I call her Liz, we're friends.) I was a bit reluctant to put it on the list though because how on Earth was I going to get to the U.S.A? But I put it on anyway because that's what you do when you dream big.
Then one morning, I was on Instagram and I saw THIS:

In case you can't see that properly because #technologyisstupid what it says is #australiabound. Now I'm not sure of the details and I did read something about her cancelling a trip somewhere else because of illness but then getting the all clear and coming to Aus instead BUT obviously, what I think happened is that the universe heard about number 13 on my list as was like 'Get on a plane Liz.'

So after checking her website and doing a quick google of just how far the venue was from my house (2.5 hours) I booked two tickets. How much is the price of my dreams? 20 bucks. Excellent. So then I got this:


Which says that all my dreams are coming true.

Finally the day came and it was amazing. We loved it. The highlights were:
  • Everything.
It was so much fun! And check this out:
 
Totally met her. Tick.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. The best!! Love the back story and the photo!! Something so special about meeting favourite authors!!! Xooxxo

    ReplyDelete