Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Art, part three.

In my attempts to create and see more art this year, I've been looking for different opportunities to explore this.

We just moved to this new area and I've been trying to put down a few roots and make some friends for the smallest member of the family. Welshy is much better at living in the community. He grew up in a rural village so he's all about knowing the neighbours and having a beer with a random. He got a hug from our elderly neighbour before I had even had a conversation with her. He knows exactly what renovations are happening across the road and how much the house two doors down will be rented out for next month.
A few weeks ago I was trying to get out of the house to go to Ikea to buy some pots for some plants that Welshy had dug out of our neighbours garden for her, when he appeared from another house and waved me in. That particular house had belonged to a lady called Bunny apparently but she had recently died and her family was clearing it out.
They were getting rid of some furniture and wanted to know if we wanted four dining chairs. I saw them and had an artistic vision of blue spray paint and...well that's all really. I just knew that they should be blue.

While spraying one of them on the front lawn (because that's what you do right? No point in getting my own grass dirty) a mother and child walked by. They came to investigate what I was vandalising  restoring. Within a minute, the girls had invited each other for a sleep over but we settled for a play in the park instead. Our new friends moved from China just a year ago. The little girl has just started school and told me that she doesn't have any friends. I told her that she could knock on our door whenever she liked and come for a play.

So last night, that's exactly what she did! It's our first local friend and even though we can't really communicate very effectively, we have organised our next playdate. (I think. When you're using a 5 year old as a translator, anything is possible.)

So even though this one was about making art, it was also about making friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment